Foodbuzz

Search This Blog

*All recipes on this blog (unless otherwise noted) are Martha Stewart's from the Everyday Food Cookbooks here and here, they are not my own. If other than this I will post links to the recipes or indicate that they are originals*

Friday, May 13, 2011

Believe me...you will want these every week!

FINALLY!
I've been waiting so long to share this with you all.
These are Lentil burgers...I know sounds weird,
but I'm telling you they are AMAZING.
Seriously, Logan said that he would eat this over a regular burger any day!
Partially I think its because of the awesome spices in it as well as the yummy sauce that tops it.
I'm totally wishing I didn't already have tuna steaks to make for dinner, 
because these look so amazing they are making my mouth water.
They were SO easy, SO good and SO veggie, which always makes me feel good about myself.
I served them with oven baked sweet potato fries, which also make me feel good about myself.  
...DROOLING...
I know you are!
ENJOY!

Lentil Walnut Burgers
3/4 cup lentils, picked over and rinsed
3/4 cup walnuts
1/2 cup plain dried breadcrumbs
3 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
2 tsp cumin
2 tsp coriander
1/4-1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
S&P
4 T olive oil
1 large egg
yogurt cilantro sauce for serving (recipe below)

Preheat oven to 350.  Place the lentils in a small saucepan, and cover with water by 1 in.  bring to a boil; reduce to a simmer.  Cover, and cook until the lentils are tender but still holding their shape, 15-20 min.  Drain well and cool.
Meanwhile spread the walnuts on a baking sheet, and toast in the oven until fragrant and darkened, about 10 min. Let cool.
In a food processor, combine the walnuts, breadcrumbs, garlic, cumin, coriander, red pepper flakes, 1 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper; process until finely ground.
Add lentils and 1 T of the oil; pulse until coarsely chopped (some lentils should remain whole).
In a large bowl, whisk the egg.  Add the lentil mixture; mix well.  Divide into 4 equal size parts; roll into balls, and flatten with the palm of your hand into 3/4 in thick patties.
Heat the remaining 3 T oil in large nonstick skillet , add the burgers; cook over med low heat until crisp and browned, turning gently with a thin edged spatula, 8-10 min per side. 
Transfer to a paper towel lined plate to drain.  serve with yogurt cilantro sauce.
Serves 4.

Yogurt-Cilantro Sauce
3/4 cup lain low fat yogurt (I used greek)
2 T chopped fresh cilantro leaves
1 T fresh lemon juice
S&P

In a bowl whisk together all the ingredients, serve on top of the burgers. 

The next night I had the leftovers on a bun with the curry cashew sauce along with a veggie stir fry with curry paste. SO GOOD!

Logan Rating: *****
Paige Rating: OFF THE CHARTS!



No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE YOUR FEEDBACK! PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT!