Foodbuzz

Search This Blog

*All recipes on this blog (unless otherwise noted) are Martha Stewart's from the Everyday Food Cookbooks here and here, they are not my own. If other than this I will post links to the recipes or indicate that they are originals*

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

I'm Back...again...

I am just going to skip the apologies, because as much as I would love to say it will never happen again...you and me both know I can't promise that!
But I will give you a nice update on what I have been cooking for the last couple of weeks...
Mostly I cook when company is coming over, because if I cook every night for myself only...my fridge would be over run with leftovers.  They would all go bad and then my conscious would nag at me about all the starving children in the world...I can't have that on my conscious people!  How would I sleep at night.
So I guess my point is...I'm only cooking about 2-3 actual meals a week.  The rest of the nights I go back to old staples, such as spaghetti, chicken with veggies, canned soup, sandwiches...well you get the point.
I'm definitely not eating as well as often as I have in the past, BUT  I'm still eating well, so don't you worry about little old me!
On to the important part....THE FOOD! 
This is an awesome soup, which is easy and fast and tastes just as awesome leftover...which is one of the reasons I love soup.  I served this with bread as a meal, but you could also serve it as a starter or a side.  It's a very hearty soup, so I will warn you if you serve it as a starter you may not be able to eat all of your meal.  Just a thought.
Ok...well thanks for sticking with me...leave some comments PLEASE...I love to hear what you guys think!
ENJOY!

Quick Navy Bean Stew
1 T olive oil
1 small onion, finely chopped
4 small red potatoes, cut into 1/2 in pieces
1 pound white mushrooms, trimmed and quartered
1/4 tsp dried thyme
S&P
1 T tomato paste
2 cups water
1 package baby spinach (10oz)
1 can navy beans, drained and rinsed
1 T red wine vinegar (optional, but recommended!)

In a large deep skillet or pot heat oil over medium heat.  Add onion and potatoes, cook until onion in slightly browned, stirring occasionally, 8-10 min.  Add mushrooms, and thyme; season with salt.  Cook stirring often, until mushrooms are tender, 8-10 min.
Stir in tomato paste and water; cover and cook until potatoes are tender when pierced with a fork but aren't falling apart, about 8-10 min.
Add half of the spinach, cover and cook until wilted, about 1 min.  Add remaining spinach and beans; cook covered until heated through.  Stir in vinegar if desired.  Season with S&P and stir to combine.  
Serves 4.

Paige Rating: ***


1 comment:

  1. MMMM this was so good! As you know I had a short amount of time to make it in between work and work, but it turned out great. I followed almost everything. The only changes I made were 1) added a clove of garlic to saute with the onions and potatoes, 2) didn't have thyme (get it?) so added basil, 3) added 1/2 chicken broth and 1/2 water. I served it with toasted baguette with Parmesan on it.

    When the soup was ready I realized it was pretty thick so I added about a cup more liquid. Dave had some, too. When I got home from work at 9 he had just finished a second bowl!

    Thanks for boldly daring to test recipes out - I definitely plan to use this one again and am excited to try the pork with fig sauce!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE YOUR FEEDBACK! PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT!