Foodbuzz

Search This Blog

*All recipes on this blog (unless otherwise noted) are Martha Stewart's from the Everyday Food Cookbooks here and here, they are not my own. If other than this I will post links to the recipes or indicate that they are originals*

Saturday, January 8, 2011

First Meal 2011 and First meal for ONE

Things that I have learned in Logan's absence...
While I have always been an independent woman (oh yes I am quoting Destiny's Child),
I have come to appreciate the joy my solitude
A solo walk, just me and the pup,
getting lost in my thoughts.  
Watching whatever I want on the one TV in our house.
Picking up only after myself.  
Not having to walk in the bathroom to a toilet seat left ajar. 
ect...
However I have yet to find the joy in cooking for ONE.
In fact, I kind of hate it!
It takes me just as long as it does to cook for TWO,
there is no satisfaction in watching someone else enjoy the meal,
AND 
perhaps worst of all
I not only have to cook the meals, but I also have to 
CLEAN UP!
Nonetheless I will push on, just for you guys, SO PLEASE,
Keep Reading!

This was good, but not saucy enough for me...I feel like it needed more tomatoes or something...not quite sure.  Also I eat whole grain pasta (because I know I should) but while eating this I instantly KNEW it would be MUCH better with regular, starchy, bad for me, but oh so delicious, white pasta!  
What do you think?

Mushroom Ragout
4 slices bacon cut into 1/2 in pieces (I used turkey bacon, as usual)
1 small onion, finely chopped
2 packages (10 oz) each cremini mushrooms, quartered
2 packages (10oz each) white shrooms, quartered
1/4 cup tomato paste
2 tsp dried thyme
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley ( I used dried, about 1 tsp)
2 tsp red wine vinegar
3/4 pound spaghetti
parmesan  for serving

In a large saucepan cook bacon over med heat, uncovered, stirring until crispy, about 5 min.  With a slotted spoon, transfer to paper towel and drain.  Set aside.
Add onion to saucepan; stir until golden, about 1 min.  Add mushrooms; cover and cook until juices have evaporated, about 20 min. 
Stir in tomato paste, thyme, and 2 cups water until combined; cover and cook until sauce has thickened, 10-15 min.  Stir in parsley and vinegar.  Add bacon, reserving some for garnish if you want.
Meanwhile, cook the pasta until al dente according to package instructions.  Drain and return to pot.
Toss pasta with ragout. Garnish with reserved bacon and shaved or shredded parm.
Serves 6.

Paige Rating: ***

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE YOUR FEEDBACK! PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT!