Foodbuzz

Search This Blog

*All recipes on this blog (unless otherwise noted) are Martha Stewart's from the Everyday Food Cookbooks here and here, they are not my own. If other than this I will post links to the recipes or indicate that they are originals*

Sunday, January 9, 2011

Eggs and bacon for lunch

I'm experimenting with color...hopefully its fun for you guys too and not just obnoxious.
I'm taking advantage of Logan's absence.
By making all of the things that I'm pretty sure he would hate.
Such as things with mushrooms, runny eggs, beans and cooked veggies galore.
Which actually works out really well, because I wasn't sure how I was going to get these recipes done without cooking two meals in one night, one for me and one for the picky husband to be.
Ok fine, he really isn't that picky, but I like to tease him anyway,
because his distaste for cooked veggies reminds me of a grade schooler.
Anyway I had this for lunch the other day and it was mighty delicious.
I would say the combo of the dressing and the runny egg was somewhat perfect.
Any excuse for me to eat a runny yolk, I jump at...LOVE them.
This was easy enough to be a lunch salad, but hearty enough to be a dinner salad, 
you decide.  
Also this was the first time I have truly poached an egg.
I have little egg poaching silicone cups that sit in the water and poach the egg for me,
but I wanted to be true to this recipe, since many of you probably do not have these little egg poachers.
And let me tell you it was EASY! 
I will give you step by step instructions just like they do in the book.
Try this one, it truly was a unique but very good salad.
ENJOY!

Warm Spinach Salad with Poached Eggs
1/2 cup plus 1 T white wine vinegar
4 large eggs
6 slices bacon (of course I used turkey...) cut into 1/2 in pieces
1 shallot, minced
S&P
12 oz baby spinach (about 12 cups)

Fill large skillet with 1 1/2 in water, heat over med heat just until bubbles appear on the bottom; stir in 1 T vinegar.  Poach eggs...
1.Break each egg into a cup (coffee cup works good); dip cup in water for 20 seconds; then release the egg.
2.  Cook until whites are just firm, about 4-6 min.  Remove with a slotted spoon
3.  Drain on paper towels; trim edges with a paring knife if you want. 
In a medium saucepan, cook bacon over med high, until browned, 4-6 min; use a slotted spoon to transfer to a paper towel lined plate.  Cook shallot in rendered bacon fat ( I added a little olive oil because my bacon had not fat), about 2 min.  Carefully add remaining 1/2 cup vinegar and boil over high heat until reduced to 1/3 cup, 2-3 min.  Season with S&P.
In a large bowl, toss spinach with bacon and hot vinaigrette.  Divide among four plates; top each with poached egg.

Paige Rating: ****
Serves 4.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE YOUR FEEDBACK! PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT!