Foodbuzz

Search This Blog

*All recipes on this blog (unless otherwise noted) are Martha Stewart's from the Everyday Food Cookbooks here and here, they are not my own. If other than this I will post links to the recipes or indicate that they are originals*

Saturday, October 13, 2012

Baked Potato Soup

We have been eating out A LOT...shame shame, slap my hand, I know.
After my birthday dinner on Monday, I said no more eating out, which I then said again after I ate out on Thursday night, and again after I ate out last night...WHOOOOOPS.
Anyway as I was sitting here sniffling and trying to decide what to cook I came across a potato soup recipe and decided it would be PERFECT for this cool fall evening.
It was super tasty and ridiculously easy.  I halved the recipe because I didn't have enough potatoes, it was perfect for 2 people. Try it!
ENJOY!

Recipe from the Tasty Kitchen Blog!

Baked Potato Soup
  • 4 whole Extra Large Baked Potatoes Or 8 Regular Baked Potatoes                                                6 slices Bacon, Diced
  • 6 Tablespoons Butter
  • ½ whole Onion, Chopped
  • 2 cloves Garlic, Minced
  • ⅓ cups All-purpose Flour
  • 4 cups Chicken Stock
  • ½ teaspoons Sea Salt (or To Taste)
  • 2 teaspoons Ground Pepper, Or To Taste
  • 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
  • 3 cups Shredded Cheddar Cheese
  • 4 whole Scallions (Green Onions), Sliced
  • 1 cup Greek Yogurt

Scoop the white insides out of the baked potato skins. Roughly chop the white insides and set them aside. Chop potato skins and set aside.
In a large stock pot brown the diced bacon over medium heat. Once it’s crispy, remove bacon from the pan and drain off the grease.
Add 4 tablespoons butter to the brown bits at the bottom of the stock pot. Add onion and continue to cook over medium heat until onion is caramelized. Add minced garlic and flour. Stir flour until absorbed by the butter and cooked, about 1-2 minutes.
While stirring, slowly add chicken stock to the flour mixture to prevent lumps. Bring to a simmer then turn heat to low. Add the insides of the diced baked potato. Add sea salt and pepper. Cover pot and continue to cook over low heat.
In a large saute pan add 2 tablespoons of butter and 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium-high heat and heat until all of the butter is melted. Add the chopped potato skins and fry them until crisp and heated through.
Add 1/2 of the crumbled bacon, 2 cups of cheddar cheese, 2/3 of the scallions and Greek yogurt into the pot of soup. Stir well and continue to cook over low heat until heated through and cheese is melted.
Serve soup topped with remaining bacon, cheedar cheese, scallions and crisp potato skins.









3 comments:

  1. Looks great - I love the idea of using yogurt in the soup in place of cream/sour cream; I'll have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dug and I love potato soup of any kind

    ReplyDelete
  3. Potato soups are fab and give good texture too.

    You are welcome to join in my monthly food blogger event THE SOUP KITCHEN, here for entry details and current theme. New theme each month. All bloggers are welcome, hope to see you participate soon.

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE YOUR FEEDBACK! PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT!