Foodbuzz

Search This Blog

*All recipes on this blog (unless otherwise noted) are Martha Stewart's from the Everyday Food Cookbooks here and here, they are not my own. If other than this I will post links to the recipes or indicate that they are originals*

Monday, May 14, 2012

Nicoise Salad

I had never heard of this fancy French salad until a couple years ago when my Uncle Dug made it for my mom and myself. I was suspicious, because lets face it, I'm not the fanciest of people.
But after the first bite I was pleasantly surprised, it is light, bright, and fresh.
I was totally impressed.  I never thought I could make something so pretty and fancy.
Now, probably 3 years later, I did it. 
I made my first Nicoise salad, thanks to this blog forcing me out of my comfort zone. 
And although it would not be authentic according to the french, as they used NO cooked vegetables, I think it was a home run.  
If I can do it, you can too...just TRY!
ENJOY!

Salmon Nicoise Salad
Coarse salt and fresh ground pepper
12 oz (4-5) red new potatoes
8oz green beans, trimmed
2 skinless salmon fillets (each about 8oz)
2 heads Boston lettuce
4 plum tomatoes
3 large eggs, hard-cooked
1 medium red onion
1 jar or tin anchovy fillets, drained (optional)
1/4 cup kalamata olives
Dijon Vinaigrette (recipe below)

Dijon Vinaigrette
2 T fresh lemon juice
1 T Dijon mustard
S&P
1/4 cup olive oil

In a medium bowl, whisk the juice, mustard, 1/2 tsp salt, and a pinch of pepper until combined.
Whisking constantly, add the olive oil in a steady stream; whisk until thickened and creamy. (Alternately shake all ingredients in a small jar). 

In a 5 qt pot, bring 1/2 in of water to boil; add salt and the potatoes.  Cover; cook, turning occasionally, until tender, 14-16 min. 
With a slotted spoon, transfer the potatoes to a bowl.  Set aside to cool. 
Add the green beans to the pot of boiling water.  Cover; cook turning occasionally until tender, 4-6 min.  Remove with a slotted spoon.  Rinse under cool water, and set aside.
Fill a deep skillet with 1/4 in water.  Season the salmon on both sides with S&P; place in the skillet.  
Bring the water to a gentle simmer; cover, and cook until the salmon is opaque throughout, 10-12 min.  Transfer to a plate; flake with a fork and let cool.
While the salmon is cooking, tear lettuce into pieces, 
quarter the potatoes and tomatoes, peel and quarter the eggs and thinly slice the onion.
On a large platter (or 4 serving plates), arrange the lettuce, salmon, green beans, potatoes, eggs, tomatoes, onion, anchovies (if using) and olives.  Serve with the vinaigrette.

Foolproof Hard-Cooked Eggs
Place 4 eggs in a saucepan and add enough water to cover them by 1 inch.  Bring the water to a simmer over high heat.  Remove from the heat and cover and let stand for 12 min. 
Drain and rinse under cold running water.  

Logan Rating: ***












No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE YOUR FEEDBACK! PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT!