Foodbuzz

Search This Blog

*All recipes on this blog (unless otherwise noted) are Martha Stewart's from the Everyday Food Cookbooks here and here, they are not my own. If other than this I will post links to the recipes or indicate that they are originals*

Sunday, February 20, 2011

Is anybody out there??

I hope some of you are still out there...I have been a horrible blogger.  
It's so hard to find the time!
I know you are sick of the excuses, so I will spare you and just get to the food.
This soup was different for sure and definitely not my favorite. 
When I was seasoning it I tasted it and was not a fan at all.
But once I topped it with the leek garnish it was MUCH better.
In fact I scarfed down the whole bowl pretty quickly.
So moral of the story is, don't skip the garnish, it really makes this dish!
I've never cooked with parsnips before, they were definitely different.  
I think next time I would do less apple and more parsnip and potato, it was a little sweet for my taste. 
However the leeks helped a lot in that department. 
I would say this is definitely a good dish to try, but next time I would make a few changes and also serve it as a starter or addition to a meal not as a meal itself...
ENJOY!

Creamy Parsnip Soup
2 T butter
1 lb sliced leeks (soak in water before using)
1 lb parsnips, trimmed, peeled and cut crosswise
2 apples, peeled, cored, and cut into 1 in pieces
1 medium baking potato, peeled and cut into 1 in pieces
1 can reduced sodium chicken broth (or you could use vegetable)
1/2 cup heavy cream (I never cook with heavy cream, makes me feel to guilty, so I used fat free 1/2 and 1/2)
S&P

Heat butter in large pot over med heat, add leeks (reserving 1/2 cup for garnish).  Cook stirring for 5 minutes.
Add parsnips, apples, potato, broth and 4 cups water.  Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, partially covered until veggies are tender, 20-25 min.
Working in batches, puree soup in a blender or food processor until smooth.  Return to pot, stir in cream.  Season with S&P, top with leek garnish.
Serves 4.

Leek Garnish
1 T butter
1/2 cup prepared leeks (that you reserved)

In a skillet, heat butter over med-high heat.  Add leeks; cook, stirring until golden brown, about 3-5 min.

Paige Rating: **


2 comments:

  1. I'm still here!! Loving the suspense as to when a new recipe may appear ;) Now if I could only muster up some of that motivation myself and whip up one of your tasty concoctions!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY! Haha glad you are enjoying the suspense of my laziness ;)

    If you try something, let me know how it goes!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE YOUR FEEDBACK! PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT!