Foodbuzz

Search This Blog

*All recipes on this blog (unless otherwise noted) are Martha Stewart's from the Everyday Food Cookbooks here and here, they are not my own. If other than this I will post links to the recipes or indicate that they are originals*

Friday, May 17, 2013

Mass meals

With my new job...did I tell you I got a new job?!?
I'm now working in the NICU at our local hospital and so far loving it!
Anyway, with this new job comes 12 hour shifts, which will soon be night shifts.  Therefore when I have a stretch of working days it is imperative that I plan ahead and make breakfasts, lunches and even dinners ahead of time.  
These muffins were a part of that prep.  Delicious, filling, healthy and quick to grab and go.  They worked perfectly!  Even if I didn't have one for breakfast I would bring one to work for a quick mid morning snack.  I adapted this recipe, subbing frozen mixed berries for blueberries (I always keep frozen fruit on hand for instances like this) and agave nectar for the sugar.  I also used white flour, which was naughty, but I didn't have any whole wheat.  They were pretty darn tasty! Next time I will try the whole wheat flour though. 
Try making these this weekend and you will have bfasts and snacks all week!  Or at least for a few days :)
MIXED BERRY MUFFINS
1 cup unsweetened apple sauce
2 cups self rising cake flour (with baking soda and salt mixed in)
1/2 cup agave nectar/sugar or sugar substitute
1 cup frozen mixed berries (or more if you like)
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1.5 tsp vanilla
2 T melted butter

Preheat oven to 325°. 

In a medium bowl, mix egg, melted butter, agave, vanilla and applesauce. Add flour and stir until just blended.  Gently fold in berries.

Pour batter into 12 lined or greased muffin tins and bake at 325° for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for about 10 minutes. 

ENJOY!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE YOUR FEEDBACK! PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT!