Foodbuzz

Search This Blog

*All recipes on this blog (unless otherwise noted) are Martha Stewart's from the Everyday Food Cookbooks here and here, they are not my own. If other than this I will post links to the recipes or indicate that they are originals*

Sunday, May 9, 2010

Mmmmm Breakfast!


There are a few breakfast recipes in one of the cookbooks, so I decided to tackle one for mother's day!  Since I'm not a mother yet, I figured it was still OK for me to cook...someday I will be expecting breakfast in bed. :-)  French toast was both easy and delicious so I decided that would be a good jumping off point.  This was jam stuffed french toast, which I've never had, but was very good.  I wish I could have shared this meal with my mom, but for now phone calls and skype conversations will have to suffice...maybe someday mom! ;)  Anyway after sleeping in a bit and making my mothers day call I got started on breakfast.  This meal, like all of the recipes I've posted on here so far, was pretty quick and simple.  I substituted a loaf of whole wheat bread for the french bread and raspberry jam for the apricot....you could use any kind of jam, switching it up would be fun!  While I don't normally buy regular bacon, I decided to humor Logan this week and get him some manly meat candy...he was very pleased!  I do love this stuff, I mean come on who wouldn't love meat candy?  But the calories kind of disgust me, so don't be expecting many bacon recipes from me in the future.  So I served this with bacon and if I would have had some fresh fruit that would have definitely been on the plate.  The only other substitution that I made was using "I can't believe it's not butter" spray instead of butter for the pan.
I hope everyone had a fantastic mothers day, mothers and non-mothers alike!  ENJOY!

Jam-Filled French Toast
8 slices (1 in thick) Italian bread
3TBS apricot jam
2oz cream cheese (I used fat free)
2 large eggs
1/2 cup milk
1/4tsp cinnamon
2TBS butter
syrup, bacon, fruit salad (optional)

Cut a horizontal slit in each bread slice to form a pocket.  Stir together jam and cream cheese.  Spoon 1TBS mixture into each pocket.  Whisk together eggs, milk and cinnamon.  Melt butter in pan, coat bread slices with egg mixture, letting the excess drip off; place in skillet and cook until golden brown.

All stuffed and ready to go!   The stuffing was actually quite difficult, I think next time I would cut bigger slices so I could make the opening larger...just a thought.











There is the delicious egg bath...

                                                   Sizzzzzle sizzzzle















Finished product with a little syrup and meat candy! Delicious!











Can't forget the most important part....Logan Rating: *

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE YOUR FEEDBACK! PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT!